Pastor Mike has been leading us through a series called Overwhelmed on Sundays. Each week we see how to respond when we are overwhelmed chasing success or dealing with discouragement or stress! Listen in for a deep dive on the importance of talking about our mental well-being, how to get help when we need it and how to reach out to those around us. For the full Overwhelmed series, go to http://www.discoverreallife.net/messages.
Our current world situation is overwhelming! Covid, isolation, stress, money problems, employment issues the list goes on and on. We had problems in all of these areas before, but the pandemic has aggravated them. It’s important to understand the situation we are in and normalize it for those around us. We are all dealing with the same things and can use support from others and the peace of God!
We need to talk about mental health issues as a church body. People can’t begin to heal, if they aren’t willing to share. When they share they begin to see that others are struggling or have even overcome many of the same issues.
Steve Millette, a mental health professional said “Anxiety is contagious, but compassion is contagious too!”
Real Life Church offers pastoral counseling, Christ in Action ministers, and small groups to support the mental and emotional needs of members and attenders. We also refer to other local churches and counselors for programs like Celebrate Recovery.
What can we do when we see someone struggling with mental health or emotional issues?
1. Reach out to those around us (Be aware)!
2. Check in on people.
3. Join a small group at Real Life Church or your local church
4. Check out online resources such as Right Now Media studies
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (Available 24/7, and in English and Spanish): 800-273-8255 https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Veteran Hotline: 855-838-8255 https://www.vets4warriors.com/
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (Find treatment areas): https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/
- Salvation Army Recovery: https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/combat-addiction/
- Celebrate Recovery: https://locator.crgroups.info/
- American Association of Christian Counseling: https://connect.aacc.net/?search_ type=distance
- National Domestic Violence Hotline: https://www.thehotline.org/
- Mental Health First Aid: https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/
- Hope for Mental Health, a series from Saddleback Church: https://saddleback.com/ watch/hope-for-mental-health
- Christian Care Connect: https://connect.aacc.net/?search_type=distance